July 5, 2023
Churches often encounter growth barriers that hinder their progress and prevent them from reaching their full potential. In episode 71 of the Fly on the Wall podcast, Pastor Chris Sonksen sits down with Pastor Tim of Cross point church to discuss strategies that can help churches overcome these barriers and foster sustained growth that can touch the hearts of countless individuals.
Here are four things churches can focus on to begin working towards growth:
1. Evaluate the Church-Going Experience:
Taking the time to see our church through the eyes of our congregation is crucial. Step into their shoes and walk around the church premises to gain valuable insights. Look into every aspect of the church-going experience, paying attention to details such as:
- Clearly marked parking spaces for easy access: Convenience begins from the moment someone steps onto the church property. An organized parking area creates a welcoming first impression.
- A well-maintained property that creates a welcoming atmosphere: A clean and aesthetically appealing church sends a powerful message of care and hospitality.
- Warm and genuine greetings to make newcomers feel at home: The power of a friendly smile and a heartfelt welcome cannot be underestimated. First impressions matter greatly.
- Easy-to-follow directions to various facilities within the church: Clear signages and helpful volunteers can prevent newcomers from feeling lost or overwhelmed.
- Accessible information points for newcomers to learn more about the church: Providing easily accessible materials and resources can help visitors understand the church's beliefs and activities better.
- A safe and enriching children's ministry that caters to families: Families are the backbone of a strong church community. A well-organized and secure children's ministry can attract and retain families.
2. Identify Areas for Improvement:
During the evaluation process, it's essential to identify areas where the church excels and acknowledge them. Equally important is recognizing areas that need improvement. These insights become the foundation for creating a well-informed action plan aimed at enhancing the overall church-going experience.
3. Strategic Hiring for Leadership:
The leadership team plays a pivotal role in driving church growth. When hiring new staff, it's essential to carefully consider whether the role is solely for accomplishing tasks or to lead others in fulfilling the church's mission. Hiring strategic leaders who can inspire and guide others is essential for creating a positive and impactful church community.
4. Focus on Engaging Processes:
An engaged congregation is a thriving congregation. Emphasize processes that encourage active involvement with the church's mission. This could involve implementing and promoting small group ministries, community outreach programs, or volunteer opportunities that foster a strong sense of belonging and purpose among members.
Breaking church growth barriers requires dedication, strategic planning, and a genuine commitment to providing an exceptional experience for churchgoers. By continuously evaluating the church-going experience, prioritizing strategic leadership, and aligning with a clear mission, churches can overcome obstacles and foster sustained growth that touches lives profoundly.